Sunday, July 26, 2009

Yep, I'm back already.

Sure, a week ago I said I was probably not going to be spending much time over here, and that's probably still the case. But every now and then, when something non-Yankees just must be written about, I'll make the trek. I hope you'll make it with me.

Much-maligned Royals #1 overall pick Luke Hochevar had the game of his life yesterday against the Rangers, striking out 13 batters en route to the win. Now, Hochevar was selected 1st overall in his third draft, after holding out for more money each previous year--and he hasn't exactly justified that pick yet, and so when I saw that he'd dominated the Rangers (a very good hitting team!) so thoroughly, I figured the umpire might have had something to do with it. A quick jaunt over to brooksbaseball told the story:


Not only did he not receive much help from the umpire (three balls called strikes off the lefthand side of the above graph), he was significantly hurt by him (EIGHT strikes called balls, a number of which weren't even close to the edge of the strikezone). That's a crazy impressive start, and if you are trolling for starting help on the waiver wire, now's the time to strike. Go get Luke Hochevar.

No comments:

Post a Comment